Posted on October 10, 2011 by harringtoninsuranceagency
Combine and Save
In past money saving tips we have discussed bundling your cable, phone and internet services. Not only does it save you money but it also condenses your monthly bill.
Did you know that you can combine and save on your California insurance as well? You have all your bases covered with a number of polices that protect the precious facets of your life; Home, auto, and life insurance.
At Harrington Insurance, we can combine your policies and even reduce your monthly premium. Just think, less hassle, less paperwork and nifty discount.
Give us a call at 408-264-2400 for more information. You can also fill out an online contact form by clicking here to get the details!
Filed under: Insurance Info, Money Saving Monday | Tagged: • California insurance quote, california, California home insurance, California life insurace, Car insurance in California, Harrington Insurance Agency, Monday, money saving, san jose ca, saving money, tips | Leave a comment »
Posted on October 7, 2011 by harringtoninsuranceagency
The leaves are changing colors, the air is a little crisper and the grocery stores are full of pumpkins. It’s Autumn!
October means one thing: Halloween. And with Halloween come costumes, parties and lots of candy. With all the excitement going on, it is important that you keep your kid’s safety in mind. Halloween is second only to Christmas as kids’ favorite holiday.
So how does one stay safe on All Hallows Eve?
- Pick out a costume that is flame retardant.
- Make sure your kids can see out of their masks and that costumes are not dragging on the ground.
- If your kids are going Trick or Treating, make sure there is an adult chaperone. It is important to keep an eye on the kids so they don’t get hurt or lost.
- Plan a safe route and stay in a group.
- While Trick or Treating, watch out for cars. It is important to be seen in the dark. Stay in neighborhoods with good lighting and think about incorporating a reflector into your costume. You can find cheap reflector stickers in the local hardware store that can easily adhere to costumes. Make use of glow bracelets and flashlights.
- Instruct your kids to only go to houses that have their front porch lights on and to NEVER go inside a stranger’s house.
- Stay on the sidewalks, don’t walk in streets and make sure you use crosswalks. Also, do not walk through yards.
- Make sure your kids understand the difference between tricks and vandalism.
- Examine your kid’s candy before they eat it. You want to avoid candy that has loose wrappers, puncture holes, no wrappers or that is homemade.
- Report any suspicious activity right away to the proper authorities.
Filed under: General Safety & Information, Holidays and National Awareness | Tagged: california, Harrington Insurance Agency, san jose | Leave a comment »
Posted on October 6, 2011 by harringtoninsuranceagency
Why getting good sleep is important.
We all live busy lives; between work, driving the kids to and from school and after school activities, cooking dinner, doing laundry and all of the other everyday jobs life throws at us. Unfortunately, when things get busy, one of the first things to go is sleep. In a recent survey by SELF Magazine they found that nearly 60% of their readers got less then the suggested 7-8 hours of sleep a night and more than 15% got fewer than 6 hours of sleep a night! If this sounds like you, you may have to start scheduling in a good nights sleep on your daily calendar because the health benefits of a good nights sleep are well worth it.
Here are 5 health benefits to getting a good night sleep:
- It boosts your immune system: Because the body repairs itself overnight and sleep helps to regulate the body’s response to infection you are more likely to stay healthy. Those who get less than seven hours of sleep a night are more susceptible to colds or the flu.
- It’s good for the brain: The lack of sleep can cause you to have trouble focusing, remembering things and can weaken your reaction time. Not to mention you won’t pleasant to be around because you’ll also be moody and impatient.
- There’s a reason it’s called Beauty Sleep: While sleeping you body goes into repair mode, increasing blood flow and renewing skin cells. Your hair also reaps the benefits of sleep. While you sleep, growth hormones are at work building new cells and repairing damaged ones. So before you spend money on new beauty products, try getting 7-8 hours of sleep a night first.
- Live a longer life: Research has shown that a good night sleep can help lead to a longer life, even more than working out or eating healthy. Not getting enough sleep can lead to disease, because lack of sleep weakens your body’s ability regulate blood sugar levels which could lead to diabetes. Lack of sleep can also cause you to have high blood pressure due to an elevated level of cortisol, a stress hormone.
- Helps keep you slim: When you get less than seven house of sleep a night you disrupt hunger regulating hormones which can cause weight gain. Lack of sleep can also negatively affect the body’s reactivity to insulin, which determines the pace your body puts on fat. Instead of trying a new diet, implement a good night sleep into your health routine.
Filed under: Fitness and Healthy Living | Tagged: california, harrington insurance, Healthy Living, san jose | Leave a comment »